Continuing Professional Development for Primary and Secondary
Debate Mate offers high quality professional training to teachers in the use of debating in the classroom. Our training provides teachers with tried-and-tested resources which are easily implemented in the classroom to empower pupils with critical 21st Century skills such as teamwork and leadership, speaking and listening skills, confidence, critical and high-order thinking skills.
Why is debating an effective tool in the classroom?
- Support with Differentiation: SEN students can excel through oral work; G&T students’ arguments are constantly challenged; EAL students can gain confidence in spoken English.
- Develops the Personal Learning and Thinking Skills of pupils, making them creative and independent thinkers.
- Enriches classroom learning, by offering a fun and exciting way for pupils to engage with the curriculum and each other through group work.
What do our workshops provide you with?
- A comprehensive course delivered by experienced teachers and specialist debate coaches.
- Training on how to apply debating to a variety of curriculum subjects to get pupils engaged in your course’s content.
- Advice on how to run an inter-house debating competition at your school.
- A specialised plan for setting up an after-school debate club in your school, including the option to train your students to be “debate champions”.
- An extensive manual containing resources, lesson plans and exercises to support your use of debating in lessons.
- Cost: £229 per delegate with discounts for multiple bookings
Debate Mate can develop bespoke training packages for your specific needs which range from working with entire year groups, schools, councils and local authorities. If you would like to enquire about our bespoke workshops please email Seun Iyaniwura.
What do teachers have to say about our CPD?
- 100% of participants felt that they would be able to implement the activities into their lessons straight away
- 100% of participants liked the interactivity and format of the workshop
- 100% would recommend this to a college or friend
- 100% of teachers enjoyed taking part on the debate at the end of the sessions