Debate Mate Core Programme Registration is Now Open!
30 Jun 2017
We are pleased to announce that we have opened sign up for new schools and we welcome you to join! In 2016-17, we ran after-school debating clubs in over 250 schools across the UK. Debate Mate offer the Secondary School Programme in London, the West Midlands, Greater Manchester, Nottingham, Liverpool, Leeds, Bristol, Glasgow and Edinburgh; our Primary School Programme has expanded from London into Manchester and the West Midlands. We also run Secondary Accelerate programmes in London, the West Midlands, Manchester and Leeds and a Primary Programme in London; this is a behaviour intervention programme used to engage the most challenging students. The Secondary School Programme is open to students of all abilities from years 7 to 10, while the Primary Programme is open to students in years 5 and 6. Here are some of our amazing results from the 2016-17 Secondary Core programme evaluation:
- 100% of students said that they enjoyed taking part in the Debate Mate sessions
- 96% of our students said that they liked their mentors
- 97% of students said they are more confident giving their opinion on current events and political issues
- 81% of students said when their ideas are challenged, they are better at coming up with new ones
- 86% of students said they were better able to take other people’s thoughts into consideration.
To see our measurement criteria and more details about the programme please take a look at our full Social Impact Evaluation for the 2015-16 Programme here. The programme includes:
- The Debate Mate Launch: schools bring their students to an exciting launch at a central location to watch a show debate by World Champion debaters
- We train (and pay) university students to run after school debating clubs for students in years 5 and 6 (primary) and 7 to 10 (secondary) of all abilities
- Each school can request up to 4 mentors (based on number of students involved)
- You choose the day and time for your club to run after school
- During the period of November to March we will also arrange 2 after school inter-school debating rounds between the other participants in your borough
- During the programme, students participate in 2 national competitions, the biggest of their kind in the UK
- Finalists of these competitions go through to two finals days, which are held at our corporate partners’ offices and the Houses of Parliament
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details and information on how to sign up!